Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Portland, OR Wing Round-up: Buffalo Wild Wings

It's been a while since I've written about the wing scene in Portland, OR (where I live) so I thought I'd give you a bit of an update.

My third favorite place to get wings in Portland is Buffalo Wild Wings (or, as I will forever call them, BW3 - or B-Dubs). Similar to The Wingstop which I talked about earlier, BW3 is a nationwide chain that has recently opened up a franchise location locally in Portland. B-Dubs made it's way onto the Portland wing scene late last fall and seems to be a very popular destination for the west-side (read Beaverton and Hillsboro) crowd.

While I love BW3 as a sports bar - I only like BW3 as a wing joint. Let me be clear (thanks JP), I do believe that you really need to give B-Dubs some mad props for helping to spread the love of the wing across the United States, but outside of that - their wings are just very average. They have some pretty good wing sauces, but the thing that always gets me is how tiny their wings are, and how much they charge for them. Hands down, the best night to go to BW3 is on Tuesday when they have $.40 wings.

Again, if you are in Portland and you can't make it to Fire On the Mountain and you find yourself on the west side of town - Buffalo Wild Wings is a good bet for you.

Want to put your money where your mouth is? Buffalo Wild Wings is a publicly traded company that is blazing (pun intended) up the financial charts. Since their IPO a couple of years ago, the stock price has tripled and they just recently announced a stock-split. Man, yet another company I should have invested in a while ago...

Here are the vitals:

Buffalo Wild Wings
2219 NW Allie Ave.
Hillsboro, OR
http://www.buffalowildwings.com/

Peace, love, and grease!

Scott "The Cluckbucket" Roth
http://www.cluckbucket.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there has to be more than bw3's, FOTM, and CB for wings in PDX? any hidden gems? I am gonna subscribe to this blog and hopefully I see something! I am on the quest for best wings in PDX, I have tried FOTM and they are good, but I have had better!

Anonymous said...

I'm currently on a campaign with BWW to get them to control the saucing of their wings. A couple of years ago they added a thickner to their sauces so that they didn't seperate in the bottle. As a result they tend to just slop in on lately and you ended up with a big mess. I'm not a fan of excessive sauce and huge sauce puddles at the bottom of serving dishes. I've been to all 13 of the Columbus BWWs and its a common problem. I have at least one owner on my side.

Bill