Friday, August 31, 2007

Day One Recap

I unfortunately need to keep this short because I'm dead tired and about ready to fall asleep. Today started at 5:45 AM Chicago time and it's now 1:00 am Buffalo time the next day and I'm still going, but not for much longer...

First things first, my highest compliments go out to Matt Reynolds and the entire wing hunt crew. If you haven't looked at Matt's site to see the cast of characters that he's pulled together, click here to go there now and take a look - they are a very interesting bunch of folks and all very very cool people. Their stamina over the past weeks is absolutely amazing as each individual has consumed on average 850 wings over the stretch and even hit 11 wing restaurants in one single day. Their collective devotion to the wing is deeper than any that I've ever seen before.

Steve and I had an absolute blast meeting up with the crew for the very end of their tour and I think we were able to give them a breath of fresh air as they came down the home strech. Our time at the first joint was amazing because we got to demonstrate wing eating techniques, catch (or attempt to catch in my case) wings in our mouth in the parking lot, and at one point I was able to have about a 20 minute chat about my love of the wing. It felt like a deep fireside chat about life at a camp or something.

You can see all of our pictures from Day One by clicking here.

Overall, I think Steve and I safely put away over 120 wings during the day today and this is just the beginning. Here's what our agenda looks like for Day 2:

  • 9:00: Drive to Niagra Falls to see the sights
  • 12:00(noon)-10:00PM: At the National Buffalo Wing Fest
  • 1:00: 0.5K Running of the Chickens - gotta see this
  • 2:00: Hot Sauce Recipe Contest
  • 5:30: Bleu Cheese Bowl Competition
  • 6:00: USA Chicken Wing Eating Championship
We'll be posting all during the day tomorrow so stay tuned.

Peace, love, and grease!

Scott "The Cluckbucket" Roth

PS: My favorite picture of Day One, Hunter Al Castor outside of Duffs having a smoke.



No comments: